When it rains it pours. It means that, at the BUC Adventurer Camporee in West Sussex 2018, all the kids gather under the marquee waiting for a bit to eat. The immediate grub on offer was cereals and oat porridge. So what ‘recipe’ can campers use? It is not as simply pouring food in a bowl. One have to consider preparing for 40 or more campers, which includes cooking the porridge. This recipe is a recommendation for a baseline approach to simple breakfast.
[PREPARATION TIME: 45 – 60 minutes] [Cover: 45 – 50]
- 500 g oats
- 1 litre semi-skim milk (or alternative such as soy milk)
- 0.2 litres or 200 g of boiling water
- pinch of salt
- 500 g cornflakes
- 300 g Cheerios
- 2.5 litres semi-skim milk (or alternative such as soy milk)
- In a large bowl, add the oats and the milk and mix well then pour into the pot with boiling water and stir. Bring to the boil and turn down the heat to prevent burning. Stir intermittently and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt. Remove from the heat and serve with sugar if required or additional milk.
- In a small bowl pour some cereal, serve according to preference by child, or porridge. Please note that some parents will notify you or the Adventurer team of the local church of special dietary requirements such as dairy-free or sugar