COOKING TIME (30 MINUTES) [COVER: 16-18]
Vegan dishes are becoming more popular in Scotland and the UK for various reasons. One is regarding health improvement from a diet rich in red meat, while another is down to being allergic to dairy and egg along with all the respective products. Yet others chose this dietary journey due to care for exploited animals that end up on the dinner plate but for whatever reason, you will more likely to find some of such individuals in Paisley and the Greater Glasgow region and elsewhere in Scotland. These consumers could be students from the University of the West of Scotland (UWS) Paisley, members of various vegan and vegetarian societies, Adventist Church members from Paisley SDA Church, and the local Paisley community. Wherever they are from, a meat free diet is key.
There are those that are allergic to gluten found in wheat, barley, and other plant species along with their manufactured products. This means that vegetable stocks, sauces, manufactured vegetarian and vegan sausages, and other products are likely to have gluten in them. For the safety of consumers, extra vigilance must be taken to ensure using free-from products in food.
- 2 kg gluten free vegetarian sausage
- 0.10 kg or 100 g chopped onion
- 0.015 kg or 15 g chopped sage
- 0.010 kg or 1o g chopped garlic
- 8 Knorr or equivalent gluten free vegetarian stock cubes
- 3 tsp gluten free browning
- 1 Litre boiling water
- 0.010 kg or 10 g of vegetable oil
- 0.020 kg or 20 g cornflour
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Place sausages in a tray and roast for 20-30 minutes from frozen. The time might vary depending on the brand so check for food preparation information on the pack to verify cooking time. Remove from oven and leave to cool.
- In a medium size pot add the vegetable oil and heat on a cooker. Add the chopped vegetables and stir with a large wooden or plastic spoon and allow to fry for 5 minutes.
- In a plastic jug or bowl, add the vegetable cubes and use a whisk to dissolve with the boiling water. Place the stock into the pot and mix in well with the vegetables. Place the cornflour into a bowl and add a little water and mix well then place it into the stew. Add the sausages and incorporate well with the spoon and bring to the boil. Cover the pot and allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove stew from heat and serve with boiled new potato and steamed vegetables.