So, you are thinking of a complete main course for supper at a church camp pack with busy kids? Well, this recipe will work just fine because it have all the essential nutrients, a variety of tasty ingredients, and is suitable for vegetarians.
[PREPARATION TIME: 2 to 2 1/2 hours ] [COVER: 40-45]
- 2.500 kg penny pasta
- 0.015 kg or 15 g salt
- 6 litres boiling water
- 4.000 – 4.500 kg pasta sauce
- 0.008 kg or 8 g of chopped parsley
- 0.250 kg or 250 g chopped onion
- 0.010 kg or 10 g chopped garlic
- 0.020 kg or 20 g vegetable oil
- 0.050 kg or 50 g water
- 6 x 10 bags of vegetarian meat balls (some bags may contain more than 10)
- 0.700 kg or 700 g shredded or chopped iceberg lettuce (or equivalent)
- 0.500 kg or 500 g diced tomato
- 1.500 kg medium grated carrot
- 0.400 kg or 400 g diced cucumber
- 0.250 kg or 250 g tomato ketchup
- 0.400 kg or 400 g mayonnaise
- In a large pot with boiling water, add the pasta and salt and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and allow to simmer for 30 – 40 minutes. Stir intermittently to avoid pasta sticking to the bottom of the pot. Please note that some small kids might like the pasta slightly softer than al dente so work with discretion.
- While the pasta is cooking, place the vegetable oil in another large pot to start preparing the meat balls. Heat the oil and add the onion, garlic, and parsley. Mix well and allow to fry for 5 minutes. Keep stirring every 45 seconds or so and lower the heat to prevent burning.
- While the vegetables are frying you can add the meat balls. This can help to seal them before the sauce is added.
- Add the sauce and the water then bring to the boil and mix well. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 30 minutes. Ensure to mix content every 5 minutes or so.
- While both pasta and meat balls are cooking prepare the salad by mixing all the above vegetables. It is recommended to have all the vegetables washed and chopped before mixing them. Put in a large bowl and cover until serving time.
- In a medium size bowl, add the mayonnaise then the ketchup and mix well until a light pink consistency is obtained.
- Once the pasta and the meat balls are ready, remove from heat and serve with salad and dressing.